Safari Newsletter Dated October 10, 2017
Dear Vacations To Go Customer,
An overdue word of thanks to all who helped after Hurricane Harvey...
Five weeks ago, I wrote to describe what was happening here in Houston in the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Harvey (click here to see that report). Harvey flooded more than 130,000 Houston homes and thousands of businesses, schools and places of worship, and destroyed about 500,000 cars.
I mentioned that our Houston office was collecting donations for the victims of the storm, and for a month, Vacations To Go became a clearinghouse for clothes, shoes, diapers, blankets, toys and more, sent from the readers of this newsletter. Our employees rushed your donations and their own into the relief channels around the city.
I wrote that Vacations To Go had donated $1 million to shelter and recovery efforts underway in Houston, and we heard from more than a thousand of our customers who also donated to one or more of the charities mentioned in the newsletter. We received about 100 donations earmarked for these charities and sent to us directly for delivery. As of today, all of those donations have been delivered to the charities you designated.
We also heard from dozens of amazing organizations, in every corner of the U.S. and Canada, that were sending food and supplies and teams of volunteers to clear out ruined furniture, carpets, hardwoods and drywall before dangerous black mold could set in. People with huge hearts dropped everything and traveled hundreds of miles at their own expense to trudge through muck and debris helping strangers save their homes and salvage their possessions.
Our employees worked alongside these volunteers to save homes, and Vacations To Go's financial donation to Second Baptist Church enabled their corps of volunteers to save 277 homes.
I want to take this opportunity to sincerely thank everyone who contributed in any way to the victims of Hurricane Harvey, and to all those who are now helping the victims of hurricanes Irma, Maria and Nate.
One can add up what is lost in a natural disaster, but I am struck today by what Houston has gained. The very best of the human spirit has been on display here since August 26, and as this city returns to normal, we are beyond grateful.
To see photos of donated goods and supplies and cleanup work being done by VTG employees, please click here.
Top 10 Africa vacations
This week, I've created a Top 10 list of terrific Africa trips from the world's best operators. All prices are per person, based on double occupancy, and subject to availability.
1) South Africa: A World in One Country, 14 days with SITA Tours. Begins in Johannesburg and ends in Cape Town. Starting at $3,345. Departures from October 29 through December 17, 2017.
2) Kenya & Uganda Gorilla Adventure, 14 days with G Adventures. Begins and ends in Nairobi. Starting at $2,414. Departures from November 10, 2017 through December 7, 2018.
3) Namibia Discovery, 13 days with Intrepid Travel. Begins in Cape Town and ends in Windhoek. Starting at $3,600. Departures from January 13, 2018 through December 7, 2019.
4) Kenya Private Safari, 9 days with Monograms. Begins and ends in Nairobi. Starting at $3,659. Daily departures from January 1 through December 30, 2018.
5) Exploring South Africa, Victoria Falls & Botswana, 14 days with Collette. Begins in Cape Town and ends in Johannesburg. Save $200 per couple. Starting at $4,943. Departures from May 9, 2018 through April 3, 2019.
6) Tanzania: Serengeti to Zanzibar (BBC Earth Journey), 10 days with Tauck. Begins in Arusha and ends in Dar Es Salaam. Starting at $5,540. Departures from January 15 through December 17, 2018.
7) Southern Africa: Travel to the Ends of the Earth, 9 days with CroisiEurope. Begins in Johannesburg and ends in Victoria Falls. Starting at $6,319. Departures from January 5 through December 19, 2018.
8) Splendors of Africa, 12 days with SITA Tours. Begins in Cape Town and ends in Johannesburg. Starting at $6,525. Daily departures from January 1 through December 19, 2018.
9) Kenya & Tanzania Wildlife Safari, 12 days with Abercrombie & Kent. Begins and ends in Nairobi. Starting at $7,995. Departures from January 9 through December 23, 2018.
10) Pearl of Africa, 8 days with African Travel. Begins in Entebbe and ends in Kigali. Starting at $8,095. Daily departures from January 1 through May 21, 2018.
Customers in the US and Canada can call us toll-free at 800-291-3346.
For a list of our other toll-free numbers worldwide, click
For the world's best selection of deeply discounted cruises, click here.
For river cruises along famed waterways, click here.
For escorted tours to destinations worldwide, click here.
For hotels and resorts in the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, Bermuda, the Bahamas and Europe, click here.
Please e-mail me your comments, suggestions and questions at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will respond the same day.
If you enjoy our newsletter, please forward this email to family and friends.
Chairman & CEO
Vacations To Go