Safari Newsletter Dated September 20, 2019
Dear Vacations To Go Customer,
Today, I'll highlight five of our best-selling safaris in
Tanzania. I traveled to Tanzania for my first safari and would
recommend it to anyone looking for an unforgettable introduction to
Africa's array of wildlife.
I'll outline the highlights of Tanzania safaris below, but first, here are the most popular itineraries. Click the links for day-by-day details, departure dates and rates.
Tanzania: Serengeti to Zanzibar (BBC Earth Journey), 10 days with Tauck
On Safari in Kenya & Tanzania, 12 days with Alexander+Roberts
Kenya & Tanzania: The Safari Experience (Small Group Discovery), 15 days with Globus
East Africa Private Safari, 11 days Monograms Travel
Kenya & Tanzania: A Classic Safari (BBC Earth Journey), 13 days with Tauck
One of the world's most famous game reserves, 5,700-square-mile Serengeti National Park is located in Tanzania. It's one of the best places on the continent to view lion prides. On my safari I saw zebras gathering at watering holes, leopards lounging on tree limbs and lions feasting on a freshly killed meal here.
We also came upon a sea of animals in the midst of the Great Migration, the annual movement of nearly 2 million wildebeest and zebras and other animals across open savannas. Seasonal rains and droughts drive the migration, and if you schedule your visit correctly, you'll be treated to extraordinary wildlife viewing. June and July are the best months for witnessing the migration in Tanzania's Serengeti.
Another memorable moment was an early-morning hot-air balloon ride over the Serengeti. We floated above the plains, rising to 500 feet for broad vistas and dipping down to tree level for up-close views. We also passed over great herds of wildebeest and zebras.
Tanzania safaris typically spend time at Ngorongoro Crater, which has been called Africa's "Garden of Eden." The floor of the caldera encompasses more than 100 square miles of desert, grasslands, forests, lakes and streams. It's a contained ecosystem with more than 25,000 large animals and the world's greatest concentration of mammalian predators. We saw endangered black rhinos, elephants, hippos, lions and herds of wildebeest, zebras and gazelles here.
Many Tanzania itineraries stop at Lake Manyara National Park, known for its massive baboon populations; Tarangire National Park, home to many large elephant herds; and Arusha National Park, where black-and-white colobus monkeys dwell.
You also might visit Olduvai Gorge, where Drs. Louis and Mary Leakey discovered 2 million-year-old bones and tools from what some believe were the earliest humans.
Those seeking a challenge can climb Mount Kilimanjaro while in northeast Tanzania. At 19,400 feet, it's the world's tallest freestanding mountain. I hiked to and past the first base camp (of three) and back down in a day. Any ascent of Mount Kilimanjaro requires a high level of physical fitness, and it can be difficult to adjust to the extreme altitude.
Your safari also may offer an opportunity to visit a Maasai village or spend time with the children of a Maasai elementary school.
Accommodations on our Tanzania safaris range from traditional hotels to lodges overlooking the reserves to luxurious tented camps. Some budget companies offer itineraries with participation camping, where travelers help in the preparation of meals and other duties.
Safaris that visit Tanzania are available year-round, but generally the best time for game-viewing is during the dry winter season from May through August. The temperatures are mild, and animals are concentrated at rivers and other water sources.
Click here to see all safaris that visit Tanzania, from the world's leading safari operators.
Top 10 Africa vacations
1) Botswana Highlights,
9 days with Intrepid. Begins and ends in Victoria Falls. Starting at
$2,385. Departures from October 9, 2019 through December 30, 2020.
2) Uganda & Gorillas Overland, 9 days with G Adventures. Begins and ends in Kampala. Starting at $2,399. Departures from December 18, 2019 through January 13, 2021.
3) Kenya Sarova Safari, 7 days with SITA Tours. Begins and ends in Nairobi. Save $200 per couple. Starting at $2,700. Daily departures from October 7 through December 30, 2019.
4) On Safari in Kenya & Tanzania, 11 days with Cosmos. Begins in Nairobi and ends in Arusha. Save $100 per couple. Starting at $3,679. Departures from January 18 through October 10, 2020.
5) Affordable South Africa In-Depth, 10 days with SITA Tours. Begins in Cape Town and ends in Johannesburg. Starting at $4,045. Departures from October 4, 2019 through March 27, 2020.
6) Tanzania Private Safari, 8 days with Monograms. Begins and ends in Arusha. Starting at $4,119. Daily departures from January 1 through December 29, 2020.
7) Namibia Explorer, 14 days with Trafalgar. Begins and ends in Windhoek. Starting at $4,925. Departures from January 11 through May 2, 2020.
8) Exploring South Africa, Victoria Falls & Botswana (Explorations), 14 days with Collette. Begins in Cape Town and ends in Johannesburg. Save up to $800 per couple. Starting at $5,553. Departures from October 12, 2019 through February 26, 2020.
9) Spectacular South Africa, 9 days with Luxury Gold. Begins in Cape Town and ends in Kruger National Park. Save 10%. Starting at $7,352. Departures from January 17 through November 30, 2020.
10) Great Migration: Tanzania & Kenya, 9 days with Tauck. Begins in Arusha and ends in Nairobi. Starting at $11,990. Departures from July 5 through September 27, 2020.
Customers in the US and Canada can call us toll-free at 800-291-3346.
For a list of our other toll-free numbers worldwide, click
For the world's best selection of deeply discounted cruises, click here.
For river cruises along famed waterways, click here.
For escorted tours to destinations worldwide, click here.
For hotels and resorts in the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, Bermuda, the Bahamas and Europe, click here.
Please e-mail me your comments, suggestions and questions at email@example.com and I will respond the same day.
If you enjoy our newsletter, please forward this email to family and friends.
Vacations To Go