Safari Newsletter Dated February 14, 2020
Dear Vacations To Go Customer,
In today's newsletter, I'd like to tell you about -- and show you --
some of the top sights of our African safaris. Click the links
below to view photos of the continent's diverse wildlife and natural
Most safari guests travel to Africa with hopes of photographing the Big Five -- lions, leopards, buffalo, elephants and rhinos, which roam the game parks throughout the eastern and southern parts of the continent. But the biggest spectacle is the Great Migration, the annual journey of some 2 million wildebeest and zebras through Tanzania and Kenya. Read a description of the animals' route and see safari itineraries that are timed to take advantage of the best viewing opportunities.
Endangered mountain gorillas are the star attraction in Rwanda and Uganda. You'll trek through thick forest with a guide to locate family groups of these majestic creatures, then spend time observing them. See gorilla treks in Rwanda and Uganda.
Africa is home to some of the world's most photogenic landscapes. Nineteenth-century explorer David Livingstone was the first European to see splendid Victoria Falls, which lie at the border of Zambia and Zimbabwe. The cascades measure nearly a mile wide and plummet 360 feet into the gorges below, sending up a spray that can be seen for miles. The local Kololo people call it "The Smoke That Thunders." View safaris that go to Victoria Falls.
Another soaring sight: Mount Kilimanjaro in northeastern Tanzania. At 19,400 feet, it's the tallest freestanding mountain in the world. You can choose an itinerary that climbs to the summit or make arrangements to ascend partway up before or after your safari -- either way, a high level of physical fitness is required. Here are itineraries that visit Kilimanjaro.
Namibia is home to the starkly beautiful, orange-red sand dunes of Sossusvlei, the tallest in the world. They are most photogenic in the early morning and late afternoon, when light and shadow shift across their surfaces. Go to safaris that spend time at Sossusvlei.
Many South Africa safaris spend time in Cape Town, where you can ride the tram to the summit of flat-topped Table Mountain for sweeping views of the city and sea. See South Africa trips that visit Cape Town.
The Cape's Mediterranean-like climate and rich soil have helped make South Africa a major wine producer, and some itineraries include visits to the vineyards of towns like Stellenbosch and Franschhoek. View our itineraries that go to Stellenbosch, and our trips that visit Franschhoek.
Some vacations spend time on the "spice island" of Zanzibar, 22 miles off the coast of mainland Tanzania. Here you can explore historic Stone Town, lounge on the beach, snorkel, dive or tour plantations where cinnamon, vanilla and cloves grow. Check out itineraries that stay in Zanzibar.
Top 10 Africa vacations
The Plains of Africa: Kenya Wildlife Safari (Explorations),
14 days with Collette. Begins and ends in Nairobi. Save up to $1,000
per couple. Starting at $4,871. Departures from May 14, 2020 through
April 22, 2021.
2) Best of South Africa, 9 days with Cosmos. Begins in Johannesburg and ends in Cape Town. Starting at $1,999. Departures from March 14 through November 28, 2020.
3) Uganda & Gorillas Overland, 9 days with G Adventures. Begins and ends in Kampala. Save 15%. Starting at $2,032. Departs April 1 & 22 and May 13 & 27, 2020.
4) Masai Footsteps, 7 days with SITA Tours. Begins and ends in Nairobi. Save $250 per couple. Starting at $2,545. Departures from March 4 through December 31, 2020.
5) Essence of South Africa, 10 days with Trafalgar. Begins in Cape Town and ends in Johannesburg. Starting at $3,431. Departures from March 8 through December 27, 2020.
6) On Safari in Kenya & Tanzania, 11 days with Cosmos. Begins in Nairobi and ends in Arusha. Starting at $3,679. Departs May 16, August 15 and October 10, 2020.
7) Tanzania: The Serengeti & Beyond, 9 days with Globus. Begins and ends in Arusha. Save 5%. Starting at 4,489. Departures from March 4 through September 16, 2020.
8) Southern Africa: Travel to the Ends of the Earth, 9 days with CroisiEurope. Begins in Johannesburg and ends in Victoria Falls. Save $1,144 per couple. Starting at $7,315. Departures from March 1 through August 31, 2020.
9) Spectacular South Africa, 9 days with Luxury Gold. Begins in Cape Town and ends in Kruger National Park. Save 7.5%, plus receive an additional $400 per couple discount. Starting at $7,589. Departures from April 23 through November 30, 2020.
10) Great Migration: Tanzania & Kenya (BBC Earth Journey), 9 days with Tauck. Begins in Arusha and ends in Nairobi. Starting at $11,990. Departures from July 5 through September 27, 2020.
Customers in the US and Canada can call us toll-free at 800-291-3346.
For a list of our other toll-free numbers worldwide, click
For the world's best selection of deeply discounted cruises, click here.
For river cruises along famed waterways, click here.
For escorted tours to destinations worldwide, click here.
For hotels and resorts in the Caribbean, Mexico, Hawaii, Bermuda, the Bahamas and Europe, click here.
Please e-mail me your comments, suggestions and questions at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will respond the same day.
If you enjoy our newsletter, please forward this email to family and friends.
Vacations To Go